Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shop With Us: How Trendy Are We, Really?


Wednesday is usually our DIY day, but since I'm not yet as crafty as my graduated-with-a-degree-in-art colleagues, I thought I'd be real with you and discuss trends.

Trends can be a fun, interesting take on current fashion, or a designer's specific interpretation of the patterns of each season, and that's all well and good, but does it actually affect your style?

One of my big rules about shopping frugally is this: If you have to buy something else to make that garment work in the most basic way, it's not worth it.  If those shoes hurt in the store, leave them there.  You'll have money to blow on more important things, like sushi and pedicures.

However, every now and then, I'll see a trend or read another fashion blog (like this one) about one, and I'll think, I can totally do that. Here's how.



Snakeskin print has all the sensuality of a snake without any of the drawbacks of using actual snakeskin. The catch: It can be dated and overwhelming on a large piece of clothing, like a dress or even a top.  It looks best on accessories, like my fly shades ($5 at Charming Charlie) or on a great pair of flats, like the ones at Old Navy.  Bonus - Old Navy also carries flats in other animal prints, like zebra. Love!



Granny-chic is now a big catchphrase in the fashion world, and it can be really really awesome, but even though Moe's handbag is amazing, I'm not sure the style is for me.  I like certain things about it, such as cat-eye sunglasses and brooches, but I love showing my legs. I saw this sweater in Kohl's and although I didn't buy it, I thought it was a good marriage of the two ideas, with the retro pattern/color palette and the modernized drape.  If you want to own it when there isn't a heat advisory throughout your state, I'd recommend a tank or graphic tee and skinny jeans.



This little gem of a wallet belongs to my cousin Becca, and I am like, totes jeal.  I covet it, and the coolest part about it is that it's the work of a local artist in Boston, who is a friend of my other cousin, Alison.  I'll let you know who as soon as I get more information about them, and definitely an Etsy account.

I hope you try trends, as long as they don't involve tye-dye.  Bonsoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...